Who doesn’t love to take their dog to the beach, especially when we have some of the most stunning beaches in Hawaii? But did you know the sea can turn from friend to foe for our pups because of the saltwater?
Saltwater Poisoning is something many dog owners are unaware of until it becomes too late for their four-legged family members.
The salty water from the sea can cause our dogs to become very sick or even turn deadly if they ingest too much.
Symptoms you should look out for are:
- Walking like they are drunk/very unsteady on their paws
- Excessive Thirst and Urination
- No appetite
These can lead to kidney damage, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death if you do not immediately seek veterinary medical attention.
Saltwater Poisoning can present little by little, which isn’t the best thing since the saltwater significantly affects their brain, and by the time most dog parents seek attention, it is often too late for the pup.
Now I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t take your dog to the beach to have some fun, but take precautions and be on the lookout for symptoms.
From my research, many veterinarians recommend limiting your pup’s time in the ocean to about one to two hours with breaks in between to avoid saltwater poisoning. Be sure to give your dog fresh, clean water to drink and limit the amount of saltwater they drink.
My husband and I once took our dogs to the beach a long time ago, and they did get sick after drinking some of the saltwater. They had diarrhea, but not severe enough to rush them to the vet, but I remember being told saltwater from the ocean could damage their kidneys. Imagine my surprise after looking into this a little more and found there was much more the saltwater could do.
So the next time you take your pup or pups out for some beach time fun, be sure to keep a close eye when they are out having fun in the ocean and spread the word about saltwater poisoning to avoid other furry friends getting sick too.